This feature is available with Profound UI releases later than Version 6 Fix Pack 3.3.
Since the limit for DDS record size is 32K, Profound UI provides a procedure called universal_overrideValue() as an alternative way to send data for very large fields (size greater than 32K) to a Universal Display File. The procedure prototype is defined in /COPY member PROFOUNDUI/QRPGLEINC, PUIUNI. The procedure is exported from service program UNIVERSAL.
The prototype is shown below:
How to use this procedure:
- Include /COPY member PROFOUNDUI/QRPGLEINC, PUIUNI in your progarm.
- Define the field with a small size (less than 32K) in your Universal Display File as normal.
- In your program, before a WRITE, call procedure universal_overrideValue() to indicate to the Universal handler to use the data specified on the procedure call (instead of the data in the DDS record) for the specified field and record format. Use the parameters “Data” and “DataLen” to point to the location and length of the data.
- Compile and run your program with service program UNIVERSAL in the library list.
- At WRITE time, the Universal handler will send that data to the Universal Display File for that field in that record format.
Example program of how this procedure is used:
- Suppose you have a customer address file CUSTADRP with the following fields
- CUSTNO: zoned(4:0)
- NAME: char(30)
- STREET: char(30)
- CITY: char(20)
- STATE: char(2)
- POSTAL: char(10)
- The fields NAME, STREET, CITY are defined on the Universal Display File with their normal sizes.
- However, you want to send very large data (> 32K) for those fields to the Universal Display File at WRITE time.
- The example program uses procedure universal_overrideValue() to override the value for those fields (NAME, CITY, STREET), using data from the big fields “bigName”, “bigStreet”, “bigCity”, before doing WRITE to the record format,
- The large fields can be type CHAR, VARCHAR, or CLOB, as shown in the example.