The ability to document your API both for yourself and for the consumer is built into the API Designer. When developing your API:
- On the General Information panel, you provide some level of information such as category, tag, summary and description.
- In the Input Parameters and Output parameter panelsInfo panels, you define those parameters and have the ability to give them descriptions.
The Profound API framework takes all of this information and bundles it up into an OpenAPI specification document.
All of your API APIs are then able to be exposed to consumers along with the associated documentation.
- Navigate to the Profound.js IDE
- On the Home Ribbonribbon, Click API Options and choose API Documentation
This will open a new browser tab with the correct URL for your system.
- This tool will show your APIs , their and documentation, and allows users to try out your APIs.
- This tool also provides other frameworks the ability to "import" these API definitions into their framework, for quick and simple integration.
- If you have experience with Swagger UI, then this tool will be easy to pick up.
To work with an API:
- Use the left side to filter the collection of APIs to make it more manageable
- Select an API to expand the APIit. The expanded area will show information about this API :in two sections.
- Parameters section: Includes all Input parameters along with the associated documentation and validation
- Responses section: Includes the output documentation and output parameters
To try out the API:
Click on the Try it out button
Fill in theParameters
parameters (if any)
Press the Execute button
- View the updated Response response data in the Responses section